A headband instead of a hat....

In case you hadn't already thought about this, if you would prefer to make a headband instead of a hat,  just follow the hat directions but stop when it is the width you desire and BEFORE you get to the shaping for the crown.

As you can see from the photos below, you can the headband wide enough that they can double as a cowl, or just wide enough to cover your ears and forehead to keep you warm without getting "hat hair"! I did the narrower white one with the looser of the two Oslo stitch variations and the wider frosted periwinkle one with the denser version.

I am trying to practice some decorative stitching - I am soooo awful at it and it is so frustratingly slow!   But I have as a goal to get better this year both because I ultimately want to be able to add interesting line and motion thru stitching to my felt and also I want to decoratively stitch my nalbound mittens in the fashion of the Norwegian mittens. I'm a long way from either of those goals, but between Lisa Binkley's workshops here in October on artistic stitching and a lot of practice, I hope to be at a point by the end of the year to actually do some decorative stitching that is attractive....
We all have to start somewhere....




This is a glove I found at an antique shop in Norway about 15 years ago. I have worn them for many years (after someone else wore them for a long time too) and now I need to mend two of the fingertips. They are knit, not nalbound. Knit on a size 0 or 00 at 12 sts/inch - which is why they have worn so well!! Anyway, it was this first find that got me hooked on the idea of embroidering on my nalbound mittens. Not that I like the colors that were used on these gloves, but the detail and workmanship inspire me.



And these next two pictures I took at the Folk Museum collection of mittens in Oslo this past spring - also showing the traditional Norwegian embroidery. Again, these are knit, not nalbound, but this is the concept I'm hoping to recreate on my nalbound mittens. And you can see a pair of nalbound mittens on the "History" tab of this tutorial if you want to see both an historic pair and a current pair of mittens that were nalbound.






Popular posts from this blog

Mittens are finally embellished.....

Welcome!